Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:39:28 -0400
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Francis_Dub=E9?= <freebsd@optiksecurite.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

Hi everyone,

I'm running a a webserver on FreeBSD (6.2-RELEASE-p6) and I have this
error in my logs :

collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

I've read that this is mainly caused by Apache spawning too many
processes. Everyone seems to suggest to decrease the MaxClients
directive in Apache(set to 450 at the moment), but here's the
problem...i need to increase it ! During peaks all the processes are in
use, we even have little drops sometime because there isn't enough
processes to serve the requests. Our traffic is increasing slowly over
time so i'm affraid that it'll become a real problem soon. Any tips on
how I could deal with this situation, Apache's or FreBSD's side ?

Here's the useful part of my conf :

Apache/2.2.4, compiled with prefork mpm.
httpd.conf :
[...]
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    ServerLimit         450