Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:58:56 +0100
From:      Vanwaesberghe Werner <werner.vanwaesberghe@imaware.be>
To:        'Michael Wells' <mwells@zeus.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: SMP kernel overheats

Hi Michael,

Linux places the processor in a kind of
idle state so that is does not get warm.
Some operatingsystems do this by default others don't.
FreeBSD doesn't.
This is a good choice because changing CPU temperatures
are bad for a long CPU life.
I do not know if you are overclocking your system.
But if you do than try to get better processor coolers
and also increase airflow though your box.
Even if you don't overclock make sure you cool your
system properly because two CPU's produce more heat than one CPU.

Werner van Waesberghe.