Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:47:28 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        marco.broeder@gmx.eu
Cc:        Sticky Bit <stickybit@gmx.net>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qt4 ports descriptions

Marco Bröder wrote:
> On Tue March 24 2009 19:24:44 Chuck Robey wrote:
>
>> OTOH, the KDE folks deserve an attaboy for NOT doing this to folks.
>
> Please post your insults somewhere else but not here! Do not spam the
> mailing lists with such a nonsense!

Marco, I think you misunderstood what Chuck said. The term "attaboy"
is an English colloquialism that means roughly "congratulations for a
job well done." What Chuck is saying is that the kde maintainers
should be congratulated for adding appropriate pkg-descr files to the
ports they maintain.

> You actually have a very annoying and insulting attitude in several of your
> mails! This time I cannot ignore it anymore because such an attitude makes
> me very angry ... :-(

While you certainly have the right to your opinion, it's probably
better if personal problems are handled personally, rather than on the
lists.

> Otherwise please do not spam the mailing lists! It is extremely annoying if
> someone writes unqualified rants about something but actually do not
> contribute anything or even have any clue at all about it.

There is a fine line here between a user identifying a problem and
reporting it to the list (which is totally legitimate) and someone who
is asking others to do work they are unwilling to do. I don't know the
situation here well enough to judge, but if it's true that there are a
large number of ports with duplicate and/or inappropriate pkg-descr
files then reporting it is reasonable; if for no other reason than
because it may spur someone who does have time to pick up the project.

It's also worthwhile to point out problems (especially widespread
ones) so that those who are learning to write/maintain ports
themselves don't pick up on bad habits.

Like I said above, there is a fine line here, but it doesn't appear to
me that Chuck has crossed it. (At least not this time.) :)

hope this helps,

Doug