Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:21:35 -0600
From:      Scott Gerhardt <scott@g-it.ca>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel motherboard and SATA/RAID ...

There are only two channels so you can only have 2 drives in raid 1 or
0. Don't use 0 unless you don't care about your data.
You didn't specify the type of motherboard or SATA RAID chipset, but
all of those onboard RAID controllers are not true hardware raid (Host
raid) and require special software drivers in the OS.  You are much
better off purchasing a separate hardware raid controller such as the
3Ware 8006-2LP 2 port, 3Ware 9500S-4LP 4 port, Adaptec 2410SA 4-port
controllers.  They do true hardware raid and work with FreeBSD.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks,

--
Scott A. Gerhardt, P.Geo.