Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:09:55 +0200
From:      Jochen Keil <jochen.keil@gmail.com>
To:        vbox@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   virtualbox-2.2.51.r20457_3 from ports

--------------enigF591841BBC55FA332255BCAE

Hello,

After installing virtualbox from emulators ports i noticed several issues=
:

* kldloading vboxdrv.ko crashed my box, loading on boot via loader.conf
works with problems though

* /usr/local/lib/virtualbox is only readable by root:
$ ls -ld /usr/local/lib/virtualbox
drwx------  3 root  wheel  1024 10 Aug 03:32 /usr/local/lib/virtualbox

which means:
$ ls -ld /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox
ls: /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox: Permission denied

i can start virtualbox as root though:
$ sudo ls -ld /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox
-r-s--x--x  1 root  vboxusers  19236 10 Aug 03:32
/usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox

my user (that is me :) is a member of the vboxusers group.

* /usr/local/lib seems a bit odd as an installation location for a
freebsd user although somebody mentioned to me that this is/was common
on system v and solaris.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD monolith.lokal.lan 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #0: Wed Aug  5
10:11:22 CEST 2009
root@monolith.lokal.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MONOLITH  i386

Regards,

Jochen Keil

P.S.
Please add me to CC if you answer, since i did not subscribe to
emulation@freebsd.org