Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 07:45:19 -0500
From:      "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>
To:        'Steven' <steven@trance.org>, 'Eduardo Damato' <damato@unesp.br>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Hard Disk not found

Another trick is to use chmod and exer from the SRM if you wish to erase
disks in order for FreeBSD to see them. Here is a typical command:

chmod +w dka*
exer -a w dka* & (It may error on the CD drive, depending on your config)

That's it! Your disk(s) are now being "exercised" by the SRM. That actually
starts with the first sector and wipes out the disk sectors by sector. It is
an early version of DILX, for those of you familiar with Compaq storage.

To check to see if exer is running, do a 'show_status' and see if exer has a
PID, if  so, then you can type 'init' and then proceed to install.

One thing to note, if you want to kill a single drive instead of every disk
that starts with dka like in the example, you will have to 'ls' and then
find the "file" that the disk is associated with (ex. dkb0.2.0000.0) Then
substitute dka* with the "filename" of your disk.

HTH,

AJ Schroeder