Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 2009 07:34:56 -0400
From:      Allen <GedankeZauberer@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD text based games - Dungeoncrawl - My test box

Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago, I posted a message to this list, or advocacy, can't
remember which since I'm on a different machine right now, but, anyway,
I posted to the list asking everyone about games on FreeBSD for a pretty
old machine (Going on a decade in fact, and it wasn't a bells and
whistles box then either heh) so anyway, I wanted to post a follow up
because quite a few people contacted me saying they liked these games too!

Here are the specs on my test machine I've been using basically all the
time over the last few weeks because, well, FreeBSD makes this machine
able to do things some of my WAY faster boxes can't!

Gateway Essentials EV500 15 inch Monitor
Gateway Essentials PC, came with Windows 95 and Windows 98
8 MB ATI Video Card
433 MHz Celeron Processor
The 9 GB drive it came with, when my Mom bought this years ago, started
grinding. She told me about it and I explained how the thing was already
old, couldn't run half the stuff She wanted anyway, and even though a HD
replacement was easy fast and cheap, upgrading RAM for this thing and
Video, wasn't. She bought a new PC, I slapped a nice new 80 GB drive in
it, and popped Windows 2000 Professional,  Slackware, and FreeBSD on it.

The machine now only has a 3 GB Windows 98 SE partition on it so I can
play Magic: The Gathering for PCs on it (The version I have is the
original, it didn't work on NT, so it not only won't work on 2000, it
won't even run on it) and then the rest of the disk is for FreeBSD.

It came with 64 MBs RAM which I've upgraded (If you can call it that
lol) to 192 MBs RAM.

It's basically something I can test stuff on. Obviously, I'm not running
KDE4 on it or anything like that. However, I WOULD like to point out how
well this thing DOES work. A machine most people would toss out, has
allowed me to make a very nice workstation! I do this because first I
can't afford a brand new computer and my machines are becoming dated as
it is, so I try making what I have work, and second, by choosing
carefully I can make this work well!

I'm using Thunderbird for one of my mail accounts, and Sylpheed-Claws
for another account, and I have both running right now.

I also use Galeon as a web browser. It's a crap load faster than Firefox
could ever be, and works just fine, and I generally have Myspace, and a
bunch of other tabs loaded all at once without much lag.

I also have an FTP server set up so I can do back ups across the
machines on my LAN. I have a main FTP server (The first computer I ever
bought, Pentium 3 733MHz, 384 MBs RAM, Video card that can't really
display a GUI anymore without having ugly lines everywhere looking like
crap, running Slackware 12.2 and VSFTPd as I can upload back ups to it,
and store it on the HDs I have installed on it, so I can have one
central location to back up to, and then I also set one up on here even
though it's only 80 GBs it lets me back up the important stuff in more
than one spot.

Anyway, this machine is also running Window Maker, since, like I said,
KDE and GNOME would be pushing it, though they both do run on here, they
do obviously lag a bit, and so I use Window Maker, Enlightenment, and I
also like FVWM2, all of which I use on here depending on what I want it
to look like :)

All that and the machine still doesn't lag a whole lot, and I have
myself logged into a bunch of TTYs with Elinks running for BOFH reading.

I can barely do what I do on here, on my Laptop which has a Pentium 4 in
it, @ 3.06 GHz and 512 MBs RAM.

Games Related Part:

So anyway, I wanted to try some of the text based games because they
struck an interest in me, and I asked on here, and got a lot of replies.

One game I've been playing a LOT, is Dungeoncrawl. I started playing,
and after a few days of working out the controls and how it works, I
started playing it for a while, and I really like it!

My Wife, who has played MUDs before, which I don't really like and am
not into, and who also knows Unix very well, also downloaded it and
started playing it. She, like me, got hooked on it within a few days.

Basically, She did the same thing I did; Downloaded the game, ran it,
played, kind of wondered how it worked after not going to far in the
Dungeon, and then after 2 days, couldn't stop playing!

We also grabbed StoneSoup as I had read about it while looking up info
about the game and I liked it too, but not as much. It's to bad they
don't release this game more often though.

Anyway, I was wondering how many people here play DungeonCrawl, what
your best scores are, and more or less, this:

When did you start playing Dungeoncrawl? (This is a little on topic
since I didn't know the game existed until I saw it on the FreeBSD servers!)

Do you have a fav character type?

Personally, I started with the Wizard, then assn, and right now I've
been going with Venom Mage because it's very interesting to me how
powerful they get. My Wife likes the Orc fighters, and things like that,
but has been appreciating the Mage parts too.

I recently just got killed because I forgot to delete a bones file, and
my Level 7 Venom Mage Ghost got me. (Took me a while to figure that out
let me tell you heh, now if I do well, I try and delete those, but at
the same time thought oh wow that was a cool idea! so sometimes I'll
save a bones file for that reason).

I also like the way the game is set up. I haven't been much into RPGs or
any other type of game without a shotgun, so this is all new to me other
than Magic The Gathering which I started playing in 1994.

I like how I can set up my FreeBSD test machine, make an account for
both my Wife and I, and then we can play this game on the same account
without using our normal log in IDs, and by using an account just for
this game, we can not only play and see who can do what, but we of
course have the bones files too heh. So it's kind of neat how I can set
up Telnet, or SSH, and then play a game from that, and then, if I want,
set up an account for the game, and use that for my Wife and I to log
into the box, and play on that account to see how we can do with the scores.

Anyway, I'm just wondering about the other BSD DungeonCrawl fans and
things like that.

Also thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier message and gave me
the links to the BSD Ports FTP, it was very helpful and I installed
quite a bit of stuff :)

Thanks!

-Allen