Date:      Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:47:43 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
Cc:        Bogdan Webb <bogdan@pgn.ro>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ipv6 rc.conf settings issue

--------------enig06EE5238AAF2979126375BEF

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Bogdan Webb wrote:
>> I'm having problems with the /etc/rc.conf setup of a ipv6 tunnel on my=

>> FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p6
>> It`s a particular issue on the ipv6_defaultrouter config, it jost does=
 not
>> work...
>> Upon network and routing restart ipv6 is enabled the gif interface are=
 given
>> ip's and everything but the defaultrouter does not.
>> Researching a bit i found some say that gif1 sould work and tried both=

>> ipv6_defaultrouter=3D"-interface gif1"
>> and
>> ipv6_defaultrouter=3D"2001:0470:1f0a:d40::1"
>=20
> This issue is not limited to gif interfaces...
>=20
> I've had this exact same problem on ALL of my FreeBSD hosts for, well,
> since ever.
>=20
> No matter what I've tried, if a box reboots, I must manually enter in
> the default IPv6 router.
>=20
> Even on IPv6-only hosts, the default gateway does not take upon reboot.=

>=20
> I'm up for figuring this issue out today, if nobody else has a solution=

> for you.
>=20
> Let me know. If you're interested, I'll fire up a couple of hosts that
> we can use and just continuously reboot if necessary :)

Funny.  My IPv6 config works like a charm, on both 7.2-STABLE and
8.0-STABLE.  Related config settings look like this:

gif_interfaces=3D"gif0"
gifconfig_gif0=3D"81.187.76.162 81.187.81.6"

ipv6_ifconfig_gif0=3D"2001:08b0:0151:0001::1/64"
ipv6_prefix_de0=3D"2001:08b0:0151:0001"

ipv6_enable=3D"YES"
ipv6_defaultrouter=3D"-interface gif0"
ipv6_default_interface=3D"gif0"
ipv6_gateway_enable=3D"YES"

rtadvd_enable=3D"YES"
rtadvd_interfaces=3D"de0"

This causes my machine to autoconfigure an IPv6 address on the ethernet
i/f, plus provide rtadvd service to anything else wanting IPv6 connectivi=
ty
on my home LAN.  IPv6 traffic from the home LAN is routed via the tunnel =
the IPv6 tunnel handler provided by my ISP, but the only reason I need to=
 do
that is because IPv6 aware consumer broadband routers are kind of hard to=

obtain.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20