Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:26:19 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accurate time without a network connection?

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 02:45 PM, David Kelly wrote:
> Looking for options to keep system time moderately accurate at a site
> without network access. So the normal application of ntpd over IP is
> not viable. Dialup modem not allowed either.
>
> Definition of "moderately accurate": doesn't have to be any better than
> I can set my watch, travel to the site, and set the system time. It
> just
> has to eliminate "travel to the site."

Ok.  If you run NTPD with only the local hardware clock for a
reference, wait for a week, and then see how the intrinsic drift of the
hardware compares with "real time" (using your watch or some other time
source), you can adjust /etc/ntp.drift by hand.  This isn't going to be
perfect, but it's going to be much more accurate than doing nothing.

--
-Chuck