Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 2010 15:16:27 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F3t_Andr=E1s?= <got.andras@deployis.eu>
To:        Anthony Francis <Anthony.Francis@eu.citrix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-xen@freebsd.org" <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD as a guest under xen

Hi Anthony,

We figured out the following method for doing automated FreeBSD installs:

- Make a HVM installation of a FreeBSD 8, download source and compile
XEN or XENHVM kernels (XEN on i386 and XENHVM on amd64 in the kernel
config directory). Install, reboot and that's it, the next steps are for
automating and other features. I didn't do any benchmarks but both way
was very usable the OS.

- Make another BSD install (appr. a 300-500MB partition) and copy the
compiled BSD kernel, which boots off but the kernel will use an other
partition for the rootfs.

- The "boot install" is an oldschool bsd slice with labels, as I
couldn't yet figure out booting it somehow else. (Suggestions are
welcome, of course.)

- The real root file system could be easily set up with and installworld
just from compiled system above. This extra setup is a must have for us
as this way I was able to do lvm snapshots of UFS.

On the i386 I finished testing off quite soon as SMP is simple does not
work and there were maybe some other issues. The amd64 is promising with
a 2 way SMP working well but a reliable 4 would be nicer of course.

Keep in mind, that with i386 you'll also get xenconsole, but it didn't
worked with amd64 sot the VNC console was used.

I'll continue testing later this month (I hope...).

Best regards,
Andras