Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:47:30 -0500
From:      Jerry Bell <jerry@nrdx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Runaway ProFTP?

I have been having this happen a few times per week for the past few
weeks.  I believe it is caused by someone attacking proftpd.  I noticed
today that there is an updated version - 1.3.3c that fixes a
vulnerability that they may have been trying to exploit.

When I looked at the process list, I would see around 20 proftpd's, each
with a high amount of CPU used, and connected to a specific IP.  I'd
firewall off those IPs and kill off proftpd/restart.  Knock on wood, I
have not had that happen since upgrading to 1.3.3c, but that may just be
because no one has tried again yet.

Jerry