Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:44:08 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware compatibility

On 02/22/12 01:44, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:45:05 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
>> To the OP, check the pages Polytropon has linked here, but the chances
>> of getting exactly that are nil to impossible. I've run about 6 or more
>> laptops now without too much trouble. The biggest problems were
>> wireless, but that was the bad old days... most support is there now
>> thanks to Adrianns work.
> Today's problems seem to be suspend/resume/hibernate (all
> the variations of "it's not switched on, but also not
> switched off entirely") and some specific sorts of wireless
> devices.
I've never used, so I hadn't thought of it. That doesn't work for
desktop either does it?

One thing I have tested is the backlight turns off when you close the
lid and the power button will do a proper shutdown. I haven't heard of
the others working - at the very least you need to script it for your
own needs.
>> Having a live disk is not likely to help for several reasons:
>> 1. there aren't really the tools to see if something will actually work
>> in a production environment (unless pc-bsd have a disc I don't know
>> about). For instance, wifi maybe recognised but not actually work and
>> error like crazy only once you start to use it.
> The main idea of using such a system is to most precisely
> determine the _present_ hardware to allow further investigations
> (e. g. web searches and mailing list questions). The OS from
> disc or stick can help to identify the hardware. If you're
> running a live file system from a USB stick, you can do
> things like:
>
> 	# dmesg
> 	# pciconf -lv
> 	# usbconfig
> 	# sysctl -a
>
> If you start the system by "boot -v" (verbose logging), dmesg
> will contain some more lines than usual. If you have a USB
> stick, you can easily save the output of those commands to
> persistent files.
>
> If you have X in the mix, you can also check the support for
> the display and obtain other information that might be important
> later on (especially GPU info):
>
> 	# glxinfo
> 	# xvinfo
>
> Log files worth saving are in /var/log, as well as Xorg.0.log
> for X-related things.
>
> If you prepare some programs, you can also do some testing,
> e. g. multimedia, gaming, 3D support, networking and so on.
Fair comment. I had in mind mostly a CD, but I admit a USB will be far
better. I also had in mind the livefs system produced by the releases,
which doesn't give much at all. X would be very helpful and implies a
full system on the disk - this _will_ do most tests for a production
environment, like test whether components actually work or are just
recognised.
>> 2. The BIOS will get in your way - see recent thread regarding samsung
>> laptop not installing. I don't think the salespeople will let you play
>> with that either.
> Depends. If you're interested in buying one of the more
> expensive ones, they will offer you a "test ride" which
> includes that you have a look at the CMOS setup (which is
> something very typical for you as an IT professional).
>
> You can say: "The BIOS is defective, it doesn't allow me
> to boot a standard OS. Let's see... for 100$ less, I would
> still do you a favour and buy it." :-)
<chuckle> You are a devious one Polytropon :)

That would depend on the sales enviornment and country your in. Here
they have the systems running with a lease on and a screenlock, and try
to show you as little as possible to buy the thing... or you buy online.
I'd love to try that trick of yours though....
>> If you do this *and* get it to boot, you want to get a copy of pciconf
>> -lv which will give you the best idea on whats what. You may be able to
>> use a linux live disk (if you can get it to boot) to accomplish this better.
> USB sticks seem to be the best solution as they can allow
> you to store files (as the results of your investigation).
Definitely agreed. But you'd need a full on system to do this,
preferably with X - watch the Vid cards. That said you can always use
vesa anyway.