Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:03:29 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port system "problems"

--------------enig5B777A740D880CC86A1288A7

On 26/06/2012 09:17, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

>>> I hope, we are not talking about some Debian-like approach here
>>> (foo-bin,
>>> foo-dev, foo-doc, ....).
>>
>> Actually, yes -- that's pretty much exactly what we're talking about
>> here.  Why do you feel subpackages would be a bad thing?
>=20
> Can I share my 2c?
>=20
> Because it will just multiply be three the number of ports each of us
> has to install/maintain/upgrade/etc...

Yes, it will multiply the number of ports.  By three is about right,
given that most ports will only have port-docs and port-examples
sub-ports.  However, first of all, you are assuming that the effort
required to install each of those sub-ports is the same as it is to
install a single port now.  That is simply not the case.

If you want to install the foo/bar port, then (as now) you'ld
essentially[+] --

    # cd ${PORTSDIR}/foo/bar
    # make
    # make install

but you'ld end up with bar-0.99, bar-doc-0.99 and bar-examples-0.99
installed.  Unless you have a setting like NOPORTDOCS or NOPORTEXAMPLES
(probably controlled by a dialogue menu like any other options) which
means you don't get the associated -docs or -examples sub-ports.

That's no real change in terms of what you'ld have to do compared to now.=

The difference is that if you install from packages, you now have the
opportunity not to install docs or examples.

Secondly, that's just one example of how sub-ports should work, and
docs/examples will be special-cased given their ubiquity.  Most
sub-ports would be controlled by port OPTIONS dialogues.

A typical example would involve client-server apps -- so mysqlNN-server
becomes a sub-port of mysqlNN-client.  You get to check a box saying
'install the server as well as the client' when you go to install
mysqlNN.  Similarly all those php5-XYZ modules become sub-ports of
lang/php5.  The big difference being that the port and all its sub-ports
are compiled in one step, and just packaged separately. Which is
probably less work overall that the current situation with ports and
slave-ports.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[+] Or more likely you'ld use portupgrade or portmaster or similar to
run these steps for you.

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
JID: matthew@infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW