Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:43:56 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

At 12:35 PM 03/08/2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> > The point here seems very simple. The intel NICs are on a large number of
> > MBs and the eepro100 is the most popular card on the market. So why is
> > there vitually no maintainer for arguably the most important driver in the
> > freebsd tree when there are maintainers for scads of obscure, must less
> > used cards?
>
>You appear to have a very wrong idea about how these things work.
>
>There's a maintainer for the fxp driver, who currently happens to be out
>of circulation.  Nobody else has stepped up to take it on because
>obviously nobody is motivated to do the work.
>
>As for the rest; there's basically one maintainer for these "scads" of
>(not actually very) obscure cards - Bill Paul.

maybe commercial vendors would be willing to fund some freebsd projects if
there was a positive relationship.

And DG has been MIA for a long time, not just recently. The last time the
fxp driver was broken i found the fix and pointed him at the code. I guess
I'll have to fix it this time also, as if maintaining drivers for 6 serial
cards and the bwmgr isnt enough  for me to do. Maybe I'll sell it this
time. :-)

> > PS: Whatever happened to all of the "support" that BSDI was going to
> provide?
>
>Call BSDi (numbers on their website) and ask to speak to Gary Johnson
>(CEO) or Mark Garver (senior VP) and ask them yourself.  If you get a
>useful answer, please tell the rest of us; especially me, since I burnt
>out trying to make it happen.

Ive spoken with Mr Johnson several times. hes the biggest reason that BSDI
is what it is. Amazing that hes still there. He has no concept of what the
market wants. First he wanted to challenge microsoft (at similar prices)
for the server market now he wants to be redhat. funny guy.

So what is the "relationship" that was announced? If they dont provide
support or funds, what do they do?

DB