Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 23:18:30 -0600
From:      RichardH <richardh@wsonline.net>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>, Roberto Armenteros <rarmente@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi editor behaving like a bad boy...

Thought that, but been awhile since I ran any linux except slack which runs=
=20
VI as UNIX does (I think slackware7.1 does at least), did not want to piss=
=20
off a convert. Did not realize Linux (RedHat, SuSe, etc.) VI was diff. In=20
Slack it seemed to be regular VI, might be wrong on that. I do have a basic=
=20
UNIX VI tute on my site at www.storm2k.com, think it's from Purdue, just a=
=20
link (Thx to Purdue UNIV) but very comprehensive VI tute.

At 11:09 PM 5/13/2002, Kenneth Culver wrote:
>On Tuesday 14 May 2002 12:21 am, Roberto Armenteros wrote:
> > I started using vi in linux and it became my favorite
> > text editor. Now, in my two installations of freeBSD
> > vi is practically impossible to use. The most basic
> > shorcuts like pressing i or insert to start typing
> > dont work. I always end up screwing up the texts i
> > open with vi. I really dont know what is causing this
> > problem. Is it a configuration problem? In linux vi
> > would work perfectly from the default installation,
> > isnt it so in freebsd? I would appreciate any input in
> > this matter.
>
>The problem is that vi in linux is not the REAL vi... it's a modified vi...
>you just have to get used to the real thing.
>
>Ken
>

> >    Thanks a lot,  Roberto Armenteros...

  If the automobile had followed the same development as the computer, a=20
Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and=20
explode once a year killing everyone inside.
     =97Robert Cringely in InfoWorld=20