Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:20:37 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NTP security hole CVE-2013-5211?

In message <AD479A36-993D-442A-AA07-AB52D8198624@FreeBSD.org>,
Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>Reading the mails from this thread leads me to believe that there is no
>stateful firewall concept in place?

I am not the poster to whom you were responding (info@rit.lt), however
speaking only for myself I will confess that yes, in my case at least,
although I have used ipfw for many years, I have never (until now) found
any compelling need to either understand or make use of any of ipfw's
stateful capabilities.

>In my believing it is so that if you do not filter traffic, you are
>making a deliberate choice to let everyone smack your service(s).

I personally *do* most certainly filter traffic, and have done, since
I first connected *any* machine of mine to the Internet.  I can assure
yoy that I never made any deliberate choice to let everyone smack me
around.  Nontheless, that clearly did happen, eventually, when evil-doers
decided, relatively recently, to use & abuse me as an NTP reflector, but
my participation in this was not in any sense deliberate on my part, and
arose strictly out of ignorance, for which I am suitably humbled and
apologetic.

Regards,
rfg