Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2013 09:20:02 +0200
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hans@beastielabs.net>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rcs

On 10/08/13 04:31, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> Okay folks, can we make a call about keeping the RCS tools in the base?
>
> The proponents wanting to remove RCS need to speak up and make their technical case.

Technically it is quite simple: I need RCS to start versioning config
files, even before starting any customization. I know about several
others who do the same (and have not yet defected to Linux).

I would like to see RCS to be put back into the tree for 10.0. If it
really -has- to be victimized by the current anti-GPL crusade, it could
be replaced by OpenRCS in 11.

And as a long time hard-core user I would appreciate if this kind of
changes were  performed only after at least -some- public discussion.
The way this change was sneaked in (though apparently with approval of
core@),  reminds me more of a Secret Society than of an Open Source project.

Regards,

Hans