Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:15:25 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to disable staging support in ports tree universally?

--CbFQ4AcuKws20ddhA5mscrRpE4CjLN0ic

On 12/10/2013 06:59, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> So how do I stop this staging nonsense when it doesn't apply to any of
> my systems/environments?  I install third-party software directly from
> the ports tree, I DO NOT USE pkg, nor do I ever plan on using pkg given=

> that I customise ports individually (through "make config" and some
> make.conf knobs) quite heavily.

Revert your ports tree to r327909 or earlier and stick with that.

I'm sorry that you find the recent large scale changes to the ports tree
to be beyond your comfort zone.  Unfortunately, these changes are
vitally necessary for the future of the FreeBSD project -- the ports
were revolutionary 20 odd years ago, but since then, structurally they
have stagnated and there has been no real strategic development for far
too long.

Yes, there are a lot of changes happening at the moment.  We're trying
to catch up with ten or more years of progress in a year or so.  The
technical reasoning behind our implementing these changes has been
discussed elsewhere so I'll not rehash it further here other than to say
that the vast majority of ports users and developers are behind where
we're going with this.

Staging is here to stay.  There's no way of "turnng it off."  If the
amount of disk-IO involved in installing ported software really is a
limitation for you, then perhaps you should consider using pkg and
installing from binary packages -- you might think that staging involves
a lot of IO, but it's peanuts compared to *compiling*.

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.