Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2017 08:47:44 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: protecting zfs snapshot info

> On 12 Aug 2017, at 19:14, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:
>=20
> Is there a way in zfs to protect non root users from seeing snapshots =
?
> lets say a user makes a permissions mistake on a sensitive =
homedirectory
> on a Monday AM that is not discovered until the next day.  If there =
are
> a whole mess of snapshots created between those two points in time,
> there is no way to protect that directory without deleting the =
snapshots.

Good question and it=E2=80=99s a problem indeed. The .zfs directory is =
always created
and it can be hidden but it=E2=80=99s still accessible. It=E2=80=99s a =
security problem that prevents
an effective access revocation for a directory/file, I guess that=E2=80=99=
s what you mean.

Ideally, datasets should have a property preventing the snapshots to be =
auto mounted
when the relevant .zfs/snapshot directory was accessed or even =
preventing the creation
of .zfs.

Alternatively there could be a specific zfs permission covering this, =
like a  =E2=80=9Csnapaccess=E2=80=9D for
snapshot access or =E2=80=9Csnapmount=E2=80=9D for automatic mounting of =
snapshots, but it=E2=80=99s more
complicated to do.

Borja.