Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2013 08:20:43 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Oscar Prieto <oscarmpp@gmail.com>, Benjamin Lutz <benjamin.lutz@biolab.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap on ZFS - bad idea? (swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer)

On 11/12/2013 04:06, Oscar Prieto wrote:
> Personally I still have to read an announcement telling that swap on zfs is
> relliable. I'm still using a dedicated swap partition on every install due
> to that kind of behaviour.

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Benjamin Lutz <benjamin.lutz@biolab.ch>wrote:
>
>> This sort of hang seems to happen every couple of months. I'd really like
>> some pointers on how to increase the stability of this system. Maybe there
>> are some more tunables I need to adjust? Or is swap on ZFS maybe just not
>> a great idea?

I did read somewhere that it is not recommended to use a zvol for swap.

Personally I did setup swap on a zvol when I first started with zfs.
Turning it off showed a performance boost but I never had any errors
from it. I had only setup a single disk zpool so maybe its swap on zfs
raidz that causes the errors.