Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2014 08:48:28 +0200
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: practical maximum number of drives

I also wonder how you managed to go over the LSI2008's limit of 112=20
drives...

On 05.02.14 07:36, aurfalien wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> When you say behaved better with 1 HBA, what were the issues that made =
you go that route?

> Also, curious that you have that many drives on 1 PCI card, is it PCI 3=
 etc=85 and is saturation an issue?

> - aurf
>
> On Feb 4, 2014, at 8:27 PM, Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu> wrote:=

>> This may well be a question with no real answer but since we're specci=
ng out a new ZFS-based storage system, I've been asked what the maximum n=
umber of drives it can support would be (for a hypothetical expansion opt=
ion). While there are some obvious limits such as SAS addressing, I assum=
e there must be more fundamental ones in the kernel or drivers, and the p=
ractical limits will be very different from the hypothetical ones.

>> So far the largest system we've built is using three 45-drive chassis =
on one SAS2008 (mps) controller, so 135 drives total. Over many months of=
 running we had several drives fail and be replaced, and eventually the O=
S (9.1) failed to assign new da devices. It was time to patch the system =
and reboot anyway, which solved it, but we did wonder if we were running =
into some kind of limit around 150 drives - though I don't see why.

>> Interestingly we initially built this system with each drive chassis o=
n its own SAS2008 HBA, but it ultimately behaved better daisy-chained wit=
h only one. I think I saw a hint somewhere this could be to do with inter=
rupt sharing...