Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 2014 09:50:19 +0200
From:      Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK performance FreeBSD / Linux

On 04/03/2014 21:29, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Todor Todorov
> <todorov@paladin.bulgarpress.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have to migrate an old machine (FreeBSD 8.3 + OpenJDK 6 + Tomcat 5.5)
>> to a new hardware and respectively looking for answers
>>
>> One of the options is to use FBSD 10 the other one is 'some Linux'. In
>> the past there were penalties for using FBSD + Java, not sure what is
>> the situation now. The hardware will be 2x processors E5, 64GB RAM -
>> running multi user Java app on Tomcat 7.
>>
>> I have to defend the decision to use FBSD but need to have something in
>> my pockets.
>
> In my efforts to set up Jenkins in the FreeBSD cluster, I found two
> problems with
> Java on FreeBSD.
>
> See:  https://wiki.freebsd.org/Jenkins
>
> (1)  Item #10, issue with JDK on FreeBSD 10 (workaround available)
>
> (2)   Item #23 issue with JDK on FreeBSD 9.2 (fix available in FreeBSD 9.2-p3)
>

> My advice to you is to see if you can propose going with FreeBSD 9.2-p3,
> until Item #10 is fixed.
>
> I hate to say it, but it doesn't really look good for defending your
> continued use of FreeBSD for a Java app. :(

OTOH we had high quality openjdk ports for quite some years, and the stability has been phenomenal.
Both my linux colleagues of mine were having equal or worse stability than mine for the last couple
of years.
I am running 9.2-RELEASE and a combination of openjdk 1.6.0_32 and 1.7.0_25

In my eyes the past positive history of FreeBSD with java is rather a good argument.
For the past users, the recent instability problems didn't frighten us in the slightest
(especially those who were not affected :)

> --
> Craig

Achilleas Mantzios
Head of IT DEV