Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:35:48 -0700
From:      Steve Franks <bahamasfranks@gmail.com>
Subject:   adding disk moves ad0 to ad4

Just curious, having read the handbook section talking about freebsd
going straight to the hardware and skipping the bios for disk
numbering, why then, if I stick a sata disk in 'sata0' on the
motherboard, does it come up as ad0, but if I add a second disk in
'sata1' or 'pata0', on the next boot, I have no ad0, but ad4 and ad6?
This seems to be the case with every mobo I've owned in the last 2
years from a variety of mfr's.  Is there a way around this?  I don't
care what it comes out as, as long as it stays put...  Since I have
the only fbsd system at work, I tend to format alot of funky drives
for people, and it gets anoying having to swap fstab's every time...

Steve