Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2014 19:26:12 +0200
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
To:        Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>, marino@freebsd.org,  zlopi <zlopi.ru@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Chris Rees <crees@physics.org>
Subject:   Re: Return ports www/sams

On 8/25/2014 19:18, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
> Not for nothing, but since PHP 5.3 is still in the ports tree, then why
> delete ports that depend on it? I know PHP 5.3 has now reached EOL, but
> there is probably still a fair amount of legacy code which breaks with
> PHP 5.4. I'm not advocating using it, but some people have no choice. If
> people want it in the ports tree and they understand the risks,
> shouldn't it be their choice?

When it was deleted, the port claimed that it *only* worked with PHP4.
It was only after the deletion that somebody said it would work with
5.3.  At that point we weren't bringing back an long-time unmaintained
port for a PHP that is probably itself on it's way out.  Unmaintained at
the ports level *and* upstream.

If these users really want to accept risk, they can always put a copy of
www/sams locally in their tree.

www/sams2 is supposed to work with PHP 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5.  Until I hear
why it's not a suitable replacement for an unmaintained sams, I don't
understand why this discussion is happening at all.

John