Date:      Sat, 07 Mar 2015 11:33:38 -0500
From:      scrat <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg problems

I am in process of evaluating FreeBSD so I can move from the Linux world
to FreeBSD.

I have installed FreeBSD  onto a Dell laptop Inspiron 1501 for testing,
Arch linux runs fine on this laptop.

I wish to install the base system, update it to the latest Released
version 10.1 and then build a desktop  machine using the ports method
outlined in the online Handbook.

Here is what I have done so far

I have installed FreeBSD 10.0 and updated it to 10.1 using freebsd-update

uname -a
FreeBSD dell.example.com 10.1-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p6 #0: Tue
Feb 24 19:00:21 UTC 2015
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
using freebsd-update.

Ss root entered the following:
/bin/sh
Xorg -configure > xorg.log 2>&1

$ cat xorg.log

X.Org X Server 1.14.7
Release Date: 2014-06-05
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p4 amd64
Current Operating System: FreeBSD dell.example.com 10.1-RELEASE-p6
FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p6 #0: Tue Feb 24 19:00:21 UTC 2015
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Build Date: 19 February 2015  09:04:34PM

Current version of pixman: 0.32.6
     Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
     (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Mar  7 10:54:47 2015
List of video drivers:
     ati
     radeon
     vesa
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
   Configuration failed.
(EE) Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.
$

How do I fix the error:
      Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
       Configuration failed

If I then following the book

*|Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro|*

I can not (from the book) do the following:

To exit the test, switch to the virtual console used to start it by
pressing *Ctrl*+*Alt*+*F/|n|/* (*F1* for the first virtual console) and
press *Ctrl*+*C*.

it simply doesn't work ie I can not go to the term F1 and Ctrl+C to stop
xorg.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete will reboot the computer.

Continuing I built Xfce4 from ports, configured it to start from the
command line and started it.
I cannot simply log out and return to the command line as the display
goes haywire.  To stop the computer I have to open a terminal in xfce
and su to root and issue a poweroff to shutdown.

Can anyone help with to above problems?

Thanks for your time