Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2007 18:22:17 -0400 (CLT)
From:      "Daniel Molina Wegener" <dmw@unete.cl>
To:        "Paul Fraser" <pfraser@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: /dev/psm0 and Xorg woes

El Vie, 1 de Junio de 2007, 18:13, Paul Fraser escribió:
> Hi all,

  Hello,

> I've got an interesting problem which only just appeared today on my
> 6-STABLE laptop. Upon boot, gdm fails to load with the following
> error:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
>
> I do have hw.psm.synaptics_support=1 defined in /boot/loader.conf, and
> the kernel does identify it as a touchpad on boot:
>
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0
>
> Trying to do cat /dev/psm0 gives me the following error:
> cat: /dev/psm0: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> To me (though I'd hardly say I'm qualified to say for sure) this seems
> to be the cause of the problem. I'm not running moused on this system,
> so there shouldn't be anything locking the device.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions? It's quite frustrating, suddenly
> being unable to use Xorg on my notebook when it was working perfectly
> well just yesterday. But darned if I can think of what changes I
> made...

  Try to check if moused is running. If is running, check if /dev/sysmouse
is present.

  If moused is running, set mouse device in Xorg to /dev/sysmouse.

  Also, moused is a better option on Xorg.

> FWIW, the touchpad does work fine under Windows.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Paul Fraser
> http://furyc0de.net/
> [SNIP]

Regards,
--
 .O. | Daniel Molina Wegener   | C/C++ Developer
 ..O | dmw [at] unete [dot] cl | FOSS Coding Adict