Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:44:17 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Dan Seguin' <dseg@texar.com>, Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Connect and so on..

> Essentially, we're trying to mediate system calls. Read, Write, Open,
> Socket calls from userland are caught, information about the calling
> process (i.e. caller UID) are sent to an external source for
> authorization and depending on the reply, the system call will proceed
> or
> not. This is the reason why the connection should be atomic and (so I
> think) in the kernel. Can't have other calls going through in the
> interim.
	[ML]  If I understand this correctly, only the syscall which is
being authenticated must block during the authentication.  This makes
the authentication atomic from the viewpoint of the syscall.  The other
processes/kernel supported threads may proceed.  Sounds like
RAGF(spelling?) scheme you're doing there.

	NFS daemon approach may be feasible for you, because this is
exactly what it does.  You have one central authentication daemon which
is blocked in kernel syscall all the time, unless some other process
(syscall) requests the authentication.  The daemon then returns to user
space, performs the neccessary authentication, and goes back into kernel
with results.  This is the way I would implement it, because it makes
adding authentication schemes rather simple.

	[ML]  /Marino