Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:06:29 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pkg problem after upgrading from 9.3 to 10.3

--k6BS8LXQXReNcc6ASe0lNs28saM9KnTX7
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--OnxiFJREO5l4E1DXnTQ7NExqPfOb06abo

On 18/12/2016 14:46, francesco scaglione wrote:
> After the upgrade (done following with care the Handbook) I get this
> error:
>=20
> # pkg update
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest/meta.txz: No
> address record
> repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
> pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest/packagesite.txz: No=

> address record
> Unable to update repository FreeBSD

This sounds like a problem with the DNS -- although why should this
affect you after upgrading to 10.x?  Did you switch to enabling the
local_unbound service when you upgraded?

What does this DNS query return for you?

  % dig IN SRV _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org

That should give you a list of download sites with
'pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org' marked as the highest priority.  Connecting to
this repo by name will automatically direct you to the closest package
mirror to your location.  That's pkg0.bme.freebsd.org for people in Europ=
e.

> These are my two FreeBSD.conf (I guess only the second one is used):
>=20
> # cat pkg/FreeBSD.conf
> # $FreeBSD: releng/10.3/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf 296373 2016-03-04
> 01:27:38Z marius $
> #
> # To disable this repository, instead of modifying or removing this
> file,
> # create a /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file:
> #
> #   mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
> #   echo "FreeBSD: { enabled: no }"
>> /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
> #
>=20
> FreeBSD: {
>   url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly",
>   mirror_type: "srv",
>   signature_type: "fingerprints",
>   fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
>   enabled: yes
> }
> ---
> # cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf=20
> FreeBSD: {
>   url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
>   mirror_type: "srv",
>   enabled: yes
> }
> ---
>=20
> I've read that on 10.3 the "Quarterly" repo is the default, isn't?
> Should I delete the /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file and try
> again?

The quarterly repo is the default nowadays, but you can certainly use
the latest package set if you want to.  Using quarterly vs latest
shouldn't have any bearing on the problems you're experiencing though.

Due to the way pkg.conf(5) works, if you have a
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/anything.conf that defines a 'FreeBSD' tag --
this will be merged with the settings from /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf.  You
can see what the resulting configuration is by running 'pkg -vv'

	Cheers,

	Matthew