Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 19:13:17 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:06:33 -0400, "Brian F. Feldman" wrote:

> I don't see a point to that.

I'm not sure whether you don't see the point in the existing behaviour,
or whether you don't see the point in doing as I ask and supporting
consistent behaviour in FreeBSD.

The existing ident implementation is designed to answer queries without
answering with any information. This is done so that services MTA's and
irc daemons don't end up waiting for ages for the ident request to time
out.

Why do I want you to work your changes in as an extension that isn't
turned on by default? The Principle Of Least Astonishment. If I have a
system that hasn't been giving out local usernames in answser to ident
queries, I sure as hell don't want it to suddenly start doing so without
my telling it to.

> However, I am finished. Please go to http://www.FreeBSD.org/~green/
> and get getcred.patch and inetd_ident.patch.

I'll look at your inetd-related patches on Sunday evening or Monday and
get back to you on Monday, but I do hope you see the light in what I've
said above. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.