Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:32:31 -0500
From:      <crzdgns1@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie Help:  IP firewall configuration

Hello,

I am a UNIX/FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE newbie.  I have posted several
times to freebsd-newbies, but I think this question will get better
reception here.  I have installed Free-BSD-5.3-RELEASE full base
installation with X.  I am currently trying to configure my firewall.  I
have followed the instructions in the Handbook explicitly, though I
didn't add any scripts to my ipf.rules file.  My ipf.rules file is verbatim
from the Handbook, though I altered some of the commented out
sections; the rules themselves are verbatim.  I am having a difficult
time with this specific section:

> # Allow out access to my ISP's DHCP server for cable or DSL
> networks.
> # This rule is not needed for 'user ppp' type connection to the
> # public Internet, so you can delete this whole group.
> # Use the following rule and check log for IP address.
> # Then put IP address in commented out rule & delete first rule
> pass out log quick on dc0 proto udp from any to any port = 67 keep
> state
> #pass out quick on dc0 proto udp from any to z.z.z.z port = 67 keep
> state

Please help.  How do I find the IP address referenced in the fourth #?
Where is the log file that is referenced in the fourth #?  If I need to use
find, whereis, locate, or some other command line search tool to find
the log file, please write out the details for me, because I am really
struggling with command line syntax at this point.  I have clearly
suffered from too much exposure to the point and click world.

Thank you!

Mark

P.S.  Please let me know if I haven't provided enough information.