Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:15:32 -0400
From:      George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: "Crochet" build tool

On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:35 , Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I've gone through another non-trivial round of refactoring
> for my build tool.  Feedback appreciated.
>=20
> Most obviously, I've renamed the tool "Crochet" (to remove
> any implication that it is BeagleBone specific) and
> migrated it to a different github repository:
>=20
>  https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd
>=20
> Config files from the earlier beaglebsd should still work.
>=20
> The biggest internal change:  I've completely rethought
> how partitioning is handled.   Instead of creating and populating
> each partition, it's now structured as:
>  * Create all partitions
>  * Mount all partitions
>  * Populate each logical filesystem (boot and freebsd)
>=20
> In particular, it should be much easier to do complex
> partitioning with this structure.  I've also added a few
> more customization hooks, refactored some of the board
> code, improved error handling, and added a lot more
> documentation.
>=20
> I've spent the last week verifying that this version can
> build bootable images for RaspberryPi, BeagleBone,
> and Pandaboard ES.  (I don't have any other boards
> to try with.)
>=20
> It also has two special board definitions:
> * NewBoardExample is a skeleton that can be cloned
>   and used as a (thoroughly-commented) starting point
>   for new board definitions.
> * BeagleBonePlusRaspberryPi is a proof-of-concept
>   for a single image that can boot on more than one board.
>   (There's a chunk of kernel work yet to be done before
>   this really works.  This just proves out the boot bits.)
>=20
> Tim
>=20
> P.S.  The name "crochet" was developed partly by searching
> for "<term> FreeBSD" for a bunch of different candidate names.
> After only a week, my github repository is already the top three
> Google hits for "crochet freebsd," so the name seems to be working.
>=20

Hi Tim,

I think this is some good stuff, but, I am wondering, can we figure out =
a better way
to integrate this into the main FreeBSD tree?  We have, over the years, =
had various ways
of building images for embedded FreeBSD, such as pico and nanobsd etc.  =
The
thing that would really help most is to make all this main stream and =
"just part of the
build" even if it's just putting the scripts in some simple interior =
location.  Have
you given much thought to that?

That being said, I'll try this set of scripts out soon.

Thanks,
George