Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 2008 12:37:37 -0400
From:      "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=" <des@des.no>
Cc:        Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

I wanted to respond to DES' email separately --- because he's right.

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> wrote:

> Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net> writes:
> > They actually do not think that it is an easy job to adapt their
> > software to support FreeBSD even. See this post:
> > http://forum.r1soft.com/showpost.php?p=3D4224&postcount=3D3
>
> All this shows is that they don't know anything about FreeBSD at all
> (plus they need a refresher course in OS design; Linux is also a
> monolithic kernel)

A very succinct way of making a similar poing :)

> What really annoys me with this thread is that nobody has provided any
> information at all that would allow someone to understand what needs to
> be done and estimate how hard it would be.

Well... I hinted that a hammer port would be sufficient (although they need
to finish their replication design) and I hinted that the hammer approach
may be graftable to ZFS.  Both reasonably large effort-wise (but probably
within the scope of a single developer with sufficient time).

My primary concern about hammer is it's floating history stuff.  It seems t=
me that legal compliance might have some things to say about it.  It seems
(from the document --- I havn't read the source) that the tunability of the
"real deletion" of data are "goals" not absolutes.  This is a concern.

But as filesystems _are_ databases and as they grow database technology
(like transactions and B+tree indexes), we should look to database systems
for some of the solutions (ie: problems already solved).  Replication
replacing "mirroring" is just one of them.

Doing this at the block level was suggested by someone earlier (BTW).
Suggesting that a geom node could store a bit or two per bock (marking it
"dirty" prehaps) and shipping off the blocks.  That only solves the
replication.  You'd need something like a transaction ID per block stored o=
the backup server to enable time travel.  Probably want a B+tree index ther=
too.  If you're not careful, you might find implementing the filesystem
solution much easier.  You could, however, implement this with hooks for
gjournal --- such that the filesystems you backup are always sane.