Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2012 16:25:31 -0500
From:      Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Marginal disks prevent boot with mps(4)

I just installed a build of 9.0-STABLE in order to test the changes =
since release. I was hoping that some of the error-handling in mps would =
alter the behavior I've seen with some SATA disks (particularly, Seagate =
ST3000DM001 disks) connected through an LSI SAS 9201-16e HBA.

It is apparently possible for these disks to get in a state where their =
presence prevents the machine from booting. This problem has existed for =
some time, according to some archive-searching I've done, but there =
isn't much consensus on how to fix it.

The disks are good enough that they can be probed at startup, but some =
part of initialization cannot complete. This is the message I see =
repeated forever upon boot (the probe number does change slightly):

	(probe14:mps0:0:14:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0 length 36 =
SMID 215 terminated ioc 804b scsi 0 state c xfer 0

There is a comment in mps_sas.c which suggests that this error is =
usually transient, but that seems not to be the case here. Can anyone =
suggest a modification that might permit booting in this state?

	- .Dustin