Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:04:32 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

> I was thinking of setting up a simple web page listing success or
> failure with FreeBSD on different laptops.  I know there's the PAO
> list, but the last time I checked it hadn't been updated lately, and
> I'm also interested in running FBSD without PAO -- which typically
> isn't needed.

Hmmm.  Such a page would tell a pretty sad story, which is why I think
nobody has tried such a thing yet. :(

I have 3 laptops (with various pccards) on which I test FreeBSD on a
fairly regular basis, and by all appearances the FreeBSD PCCARD
support has continued its gradual de-evolution process in our latest
releases, things now having gotten to the point where even the
mainstream stuff doesn't work anymore.  For an example of what I mean,
I just tried to bring up 3.1-RELEASE on a fairly standard Digital
HiNote laptop with 3COM 3C589D PCCARD NIC and it failed to work at
all.  If you power the laptop up with the card inserted, it says
"Driver allocation failed for ep0" (or words to that effect, the box
not sitting in front of me at the moment) and if you try a
hot-insertion, it either completely fails to notice the insertion
event at all (this now appearing to be a general problem with pccardd)
or it notices but still fails to do anything useful with it.  Same
setup used to work in 2.2.8, sadly enough.

At its current rate of progress(?), I predict that the code will be
non-functional enough to simply shoot dead in about 6 more months,
allowing us to finally stop pretending that the "mainline" FreeBSD
product supports laptop peripherals at all.  I can only hope that the
PAO people continue to track the state of FreeBSD's mainline releases
so that we can at least point people in that direction for the
"optional laptop support" add-ons.  Bah, Oh Well, etc.

- Jordan

P.S. People who reply to suggest that the mainline laptop support
should "simply be improved and/or merged with the PAO code" will be
laughed at for 5 solid minutes before being cheerfully blown into
shark chum with sustained, fully-automatic weapons fire.  If there
were someone available to DO THE WORK involved in actually
implementing such a suggestion, it would have been done years ago,
trust me.