Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 2013 23:30:55 +0200
From:      keramida@ceid.upatras.gr (Giorgos Keramidas)
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: rsync on Mac OSX

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 13:35:00 -0700, Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com> wrote:
> I have been using rsync with Mac OSX with no issues until today.  I
> generally use it instead of the copy command because if the copy fails
> on large files, I can pick up where I left off.  I have backed up
> entire Final Cut Pro projects this way with no issues.  However, I
> recently synced a drive to a folder in another drive, and the OS does
> not recognize the final rendered files as quicktime files.  The files
> work fine in the parent drive.  I have no idea what might be going on.
> I used the flags: rsync -vaur like I always do.  Any suggestions?

This is a FreeBSD list, so any issues rsync may have with MacOS X are
not very relevant to what FreeBSD is doing or would do.  Having said
that though, can you try without the -u option?  Maybe modification
times are newer on the target drive and rsync skips everything.

You should probably also enable --stats and have a look at the final
report of rsync, to see if it actually sync'ed any files, or skipped all
of them because of mtime checks.