Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:37:07 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu@utahime.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GDB no workie? Permission problem?

In message <20200811.022654.1924978480022516137.yasu@utahime.org>, you wrote:

>From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
>Subject: GDB no workie? Permission problem?
>Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:01:03 -0700
>
>> I seem to vaguely recall some "security" options being presented
>> at system install time, and I do believe one of these had to do
>> with ptrace.  So I guess that I must have made the Wrong Choice
>> with respect to that one. OK. Fine.  Now how do I fix that misake
>> on my part, short of re-installing the whole bloody system?
>
>"System Hardening" stage of installation is handled by
>/usr/libexec/bsdinstall/hardening and it is shell script. So if you
>understand syntax of bourne shell you can undo your system hardening
>settings by reading it.

Thank you.  The code seems to suggets that I just need to edit a
file called $BSDINSTALL_TMPBOOT/loader.conf.hardening but I will be
damned if I can find any such on my system, anywhere in my root
partition.  So I'm stumped.  To make matters even worse, the
output I get from "sysctl -a" doesn't even seem to list -any-
sysctl variable called "security.bsd.allow_destructive_dtrace", so
I am double stumped.

Regards,
rfg