Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:14:13 +0200
From:      "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
To:        "Jamie Heckford" <jamie@tridentmicrosystems.co.uk>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Wierd ATA errors

:Hi,
:
:Im getting a lot of strange errors on FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #2: Tue Jun 18
:14:20:36 BST 2002,
:involving 3x 120GB drives I have installed.
:
:The errors im getting are ones such as these:
:
:ad5: WRITE command timeout tag=3D0 serv=3D0 - resetting
:ata2: resetting devices .. ad4: DMA limited to UDMA33,=20
:non-ATA66 cable or
:device
:done
:ad6: WRITE command timeout tag=3D0 serv=3D0 - resetting
:ata3: resetting devices .. done
:ad6: WRITE command timeout tag=3D0 serv=3D0 - resetting
:ata3: resetting devices .. done

I had this same problem ever since 4.4
*did* it work in UDMA mode before or is this the first time you have
used this IDE Controller?

I did have a good ata100 cable but the controller just diesn't seem to
work.

The only way I could fix it was to set the mode of the channel to
BIOSPIO

atacontrol mode 0 BIOSPIO
Where 0 is the ide channel you are having problems with.

I have just CVSupped to 4.6 so I have not had a chance to test the UDMA
mode yet but I doubt it will work.

I know it's a big performance hit but it might tell you if it's cruddy a
IDE controller.  I am ok with the performance hit, it's just a
firewall/NatD router for my home lan, so really it's fine...

-D
-----------------------------------------------------------------=0A=
ATTENTION:=0A=
The information in this electronic mail message is private and=0A=
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you=0A=
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that=0A=
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this=0A=
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by=0A=
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or=0A=
opening it.=0A=
=0A=
Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.=0A=
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the=0A=
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.=0A=
Always scan attachments before opening them.=0A=