Date:      Fri, 9 Sep 2016 11:59:45 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
Subject:   vt console driver and default vga mode: breaking POLA

Hi

I apologise for being late on this, but I just noticed. The new vt =
console driver has a very important
change in behavior, replacing the ancient =E2=80=9CBIOS=E2=80=9D text =
mode with a graphic VGA mode.

I don=E2=80=99t know how many people relies on BIOS serial redirection =
for consoles, but at least
HP=E2=80=99s iLO system offers the possibility of accessing the console =
through a ssh connection instead
of requiring a bloated Java console, and it=E2=80=99s a very convenient =
feature. But it only works in pure
=E2=80=9CBIOS text mode=E2=80=9D (the old sc console driver used this =
mode as a default).

I would rather change the default behavior of vt to hw.vga.textmode=3D1 =
so that its behavior mimics
the old sc driver.

I know the current fad is to hide boot messages with panda bears and =
beautiful butterflies revolving
around them, but boot messages are critical when diagnosing problems.

I should have chimed in earlier, I know. But anyway it=E2=80=99s a very =
minor change.

What do you think?

Borja.