Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 16:59:20 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AOUT/ELF

On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:52:31 EST, Chuck Robey wrote:

> Because that'd be untrue.  I run current, which is elf, and elf kernel,
> and my jdk (aout) runs fine.

That's because you have legacy AOUT support. Either you haven't tidied
up stale crud for ages, or you include the legacy build in your make
world.

> Don't try to spread FUD because it's not
> perfect.

I guess my suggestion came more out of frustration than the desire for
the web page to be accurate. Sorry.

> The latest jdk sources are available, it's not yet built for
> FreeBSD yet is all.

Hmmm, somehow I fell under the illusion that a license was required to
work with the source for the kit. As I see it, once I've got the source,
all I need to do is tinker with it until it works with an ELF lesstiff.

> If you want to help, great, but don't make it worse than it is.

Always good advice, I'll look at SUN's online stuff more carefully and
grab the source.

> BTW, the java executable is statically linked.  Did you try it?

Nope, I'll do that as well, but I'm pretty sure I want to get it ELF'd
regardless.

Thanks for your quick response,
Sheldon.