Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:59:52 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding support for a global src tree serial number

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:43:45 +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> Mirroring of CVS repositories with CVSup could be a problem here.
> We'd need to somehow guarantee that src/SERIAL is consistent with
> the rest of the checked out sources.  What if the mirror site you
> are "cvs updating" from is experiencing a CVSup latency, and some
> checked out sources are still behind SERIAL?  This is not an
> unlikely thing to see.

Well this is where my argument falls completely to the ground. [1]
:-)

I didn't realize that cvsup mirrors might offer me a src/bin that's
newer than the src/sbin that it offers me (for example).

If that's the case, then this is a bit of a lost cause.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[1] With apologies to Monty Python.