Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:12:36 -0500
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@slis.indiana.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Formatting a large (1.3TB) SCSI disk

I'm a bit stumped on this.  I have a roughly 1.3 terabyte disk array
attached via an Adaptec 39166 controller (on the motherboard of a Dell
2650).  I understand there is a gap between the theoretical filesystem
size limits and the actual limits which I gather hover around 1TB.
Okay, so I can partition the disk and make a couple smaller
filesystems.  But I can't even get the thing sliced (fdisk) or
partitioned (disklabel).

sysinstall fdisk & disklabel complain about the geometry and claim to
be selecting a more reasonable geometry, and then complain about the
more reasonable geometry they selected.  Using disklabel to try and set
up the disk in "dangerously" dedicated mode (eg, no fdisk stuff) gives
me wierd errors when I try to add partitions.  If I try and newfs the
default c partition, I get console message about block count
discrepancies, etc...

So obviously disk larger than a terabyte are not exactly plug-n-play
(with 4.7 at least) so does anyone who has dealt with this situation
have any sage advice?  The person using the machine would prefer a
single giant filesystem if possible.

-john
(returning to FreeBSD after a several year diversion in Solaris
administration)