Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2014 21:36:15 -0800
From:      aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
To:        Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: practical maximum number of drives

Hi Graham,

When you say behaved better with 1 HBA, what were the issues that made =
you go that route?

Also, curious that you have that many drives on 1 PCI card, is it PCI 3 =
etc=85 and is saturation an issue?

- aurf

On Feb 4, 2014, at 8:27 PM, Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu> wrote:

> This may well be a question with no real answer but since we're =
speccing out a new ZFS-based storage system, I've been asked what the =
maximum number of drives it can support would be (for a hypothetical =
expansion option). While there are some obvious limits such as SAS =
addressing, I assume there must be more fundamental ones in the kernel =
or drivers, and the practical limits will be very different from the =
hypothetical ones.
>=20
> So far the largest system we've built is using three 45-drive chassis =
on one SAS2008 (mps) controller, so 135 drives total. Over many months =
of running we had several drives fail and be replaced, and eventually =
the OS (9.1) failed to assign new da devices. It was time to patch the =
system and reboot anyway, which solved it, but we did wonder if we were =
running into some kind of limit around 150 drives - though I don't see =
why.
>=20
> Interestingly we initially built this system with each drive chassis =
on its own SAS2008 HBA, but it ultimately behaved better daisy-chained =
with only one. I think I saw a hint somewhere this could be to do with =
interrupt sharing...