Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:43:34 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Safe (but quick) GCC settings on a PC64 with 5.3?

On Dec 13, 2004, at 9:30 AM, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> Anyway, I'm planning to rebuild all of my ports to take advantage of
> GCC's
> new optimizations (versus the old 2.95 version they'd been previously
> built
> with) and the kernel to try to wring a little more performance out of
> this
> small system whose dmesg starts with:
*snip*
> I currently have these in my /etc/make.conf:
>
>   CPUTYPE=ev45
>   CFLAGS= -O -pipe -mieee
>   COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

I would start by raising the optimization level to 2 (as in -O2). This
is
our default now in -CURRENT and -STABLE and -CURRENT aren't really that
far apart that it's not worth a try. You may run into an occasional
compile
breakage though, but I don't expect you'll see any instability.

Note that some of the machine specific optimizations may only kick in at
-O2. I haven't looked at it in detail for the alpha optimizations, but
be aware that it might be slightly more involved than just adding a
compile flag.

FYI,

--
  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel@xcllnt.net