Date:      Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:13:20 +0530
From:      Joseph Koshy <joseph.koshy@gmail.com>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@bfoz.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Eirik_=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
Subject:   Re: Centralized building

> AFAICT cross-compiling amd64 on a i386 machine isn't supported
> yet. I ran into a similar problem when I upgraded an i386
> machine to amd64. I thought I could just set CPUTYPE=3Dathlon-64
> and buildworld would do the right thing. Apparently not.

Bootstrapping a single machine is supported:

# make buildworld TARGET_ARCH=3Dnew-arch

plus a few other steps.  (See build(7)).

There have been a couple of postings on the mailing lists
on this topic in the recent past.  I've taken a stab at
describing how to cross-bootstrap too:

http://edoofus.blogspot.com/2005/10/cross-building-freebsd.html

The OP wanted to do a 'buildworld TARGET_ARCH=3Dfoo' on one
machine and then an 'installworld' on a different set of
machines.

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy