Date:      Fri, 3 Jun 2011 10:20:50 -0300
From:      Patrick Tracanelli <eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Introducing netmap: line-rate packet send/receive at 10Gbit/s

Em 02/06/2011, =E0s 19:31, Luigi Rizzo escreveu:

> Hi,
> we have recently worked on a project, called netmap, which lets
> FreeBSD send/receive packets at line rate even at 10 Gbit/s with
> very low CPU overhead: one core at 1.33 GHz does 14.88 Mpps with a
> modified ixgbe driver, which gives plenty of CPU cycles to handle
> multiple interface and/or do useful work (packet forwarding, analysis, =
etc.)
>=20
> You can find full documentation and source code and even a picobsd =
image at
>=20
>       http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/
>=20
> The system uses memory mapped packet buffers to reduce the cost of
> data movements, but this would not be enough to make it useful or
> novel.  Netmap uses many other small but important tricks to make
> the system fast, safe and easy to use, and support transmission,
> reception, and communication with the host stack.
>=20
> You can see full details in  documentation at the above link.
>=20
> Feedback welcome.

Dear Rizzo,

Which packet len you transmitted at 14.8MPPS? According to figure 5 or =
the description I could not find it. Did you test TCP?

How did you perform this test? Multihomed with forwarding between NICs =
or you generated the data from userland to the wire and let it flow? If =
not tell me how you believe netmap may impact in our current forwarding =
rate (specially the pps limit) and FreeBSD should be changed to take =
advantage of netmap for pkt forwarding.

Thank you for your time, code and all the stuff in between :)

--
Patrick Tracanelli