Date:      04 Aug 1999 13:03:10 +0300
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD voice synthesis

wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters) writes:

> available for "home" computers decades ago.  (Anyone else here ever use
> SAM "the Software Automated Mouth" for the Atari 800 or Commodore 64?)

Yes.

It's almost surprising how little speech synthesis has improved, at
least judging from the festival demos (it is, of course, better than
SAM, but apparently the data and processing requirements are several
orders of magnitude greater).  I haven't downloaded all of the
required stuff, yet, so I don't know how good or bad it actually might
be.

I certainly don't expect any of the available voices to be able to
pronounce Finnish names correctly, even with phonetic specifications.