Date:      13 Jul 1999 11:29:03 +0300
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thread stack allocation (was Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc_r Makefile src/lib/libc_r/uthread pthread_private.h uthread_create.c uthread_gc.c uthread_init.c)

Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu> writes:

> P.S.  As an aside, just once, everyone should look at the /proc/"pid"/map
> of a running cvsup.  Each line you see is a vm_map_entry.  (What you
> see is a result of Modula-3's garbage collector.)  Roughly speaking,

Modula-3 really appears to be doing something weird, making half of
the entries read-only.  A garbage collected language should actually
be capable of doing a better job than a non-gc one.

> on a page fault, if we're not faulting on the same range of addresses
> as the last page fault, a linear cost search is performed
> to find the correct entry.

Are you suggesting that vm_map_entries should be in, say, a red-black
tree (not a bad idea, I've done this), or that programs should just
keep their memory contiguous ((s)brk rather than mmap)?

The latter is becoming increasingly difficult with the large numbers
of shared libraries and growing use of dynamically loaded internal
modules (XFree86 4.0?).