Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2020 15:50:32 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot build qt5-webkit with debug

Miroslav Lachman wrote on 2020/02/24 12:48:
> Short story:
> I am trying to build qt5-webkit with WITH_DEBUG=yes in make.conf on our
> E3 Xeon machine with FreeBSD 11.3, poudriere-devel, 16GB of RAM and 10GB
> of swap.
> The build always hangs, machine is unresponsive on SSH / HTTP, only ping
> is responding. I track it down to build eats all memory (RAM + Swap).
>
> Did anybody tried to build (successfully?) qt5-webkit with debug option?
>
> Is there a bug in build process with WITH_DEBUG or is 16GB of RAM and
> 10GB of swap not enough in these days?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Long story:
> As I didn't found replacement for removed port lang/phantomjs nor found
> how to build firefox or chromium as static binary I am trying to create
> new port of lang/phantomjs.
> I posted few weeks ago - phantomjs github is active again
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-January/117556.html
>
> The new development version of phantomjs has different building process,
> newer dependencies, can be built with current OpenSSL 1.1.1 etc.
> My (ugly) temporary version of this port is buildable, resulting binary
> "phantomjs" can run simple "Hello world" example
> https://github.com/ariya/phantomjs/blob/master/examples/hello.js
>
> But when I try to run some real work (fetching web page) it segfaulted.

[...]

> I guess I need debug symbols for qt5-webkit to debug it further but I am
> not able to build it with WITH_DEBUG.
>
> Are there any ways / tuning options to build it without eating all
> memory and swap space?

Meanwhile I added 20GB more of a swap (total of 30GB) and the build
succeeded. (according to Zabbix graphs it used 22GB of swap for this build)

Phantomjs is still segfaulting and I am not able to debug it with gdb
because it is interrupted by segfault to:

(root@testjail) ~/# phantomjs /tmp/phantom.2.js
PhantomJS has crashed. Please read the bug reporting guide at
<http://phantomjs.org/bug-reporting.html>; and file a bug report.
Segmentation fault

(root@testjail) ~/# gdb /usr/local/bin/phantomjs
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "amd64-marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging
symbols found)...
(gdb) run /tmp/phantom.2.js
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/phantomjs /tmp/phantom.2.js
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

There are 2 core dumps

-rw-------  1 root  wheel   327M Feb 24 14:36 gdb.core
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   4.9M Feb 24 14:36 phantomjs.core

What more can I try?
I am not a C / C++ skilled person. All these things are new to me.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman