Date:      28 Jul 2000 09:52:33 -0500
From:      Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   matcd - how to make it work

I have not been able to get matcd to work since 2.x.

I have a Reveal kit CD drive connected through a sound card.

Here is what Linux sbpcd says about the drive:

CR-563 (0.75) at 0x630

data buffer size 8 frames

ISO 9660 Extensions RRIP_1991A

The MS DOS/Win driver agrees that it is a CR-563 at 0x630 and
the physical label on the drive agrees it is a CR-563.

According to man matcd it is supported.

My kernel includes the CD9660 option (but not the boot option),
the isa device (of course), and device matcd0 at isa? port 0x630 .
/dev shows matcd0a, matcd0c, matcd0la, and matcd0lc .

Yet when I try to mount it, I get

9660: Device not configured.

The new kernel finds this in regard to the soundcard:

FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #0: Fri Jul 28 01:33:07 CDT 2000

pcm0: <AD1848> at port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x9100 on isa0

sbc0: <Soundblaster Pro> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa0

sbc0: alloc_resource

device_probe_and_attach: sbc0 attach returned 6

pca0 at port 0x40 on isa0

It is completely silent about matcd.

The old kernel would report something like this:

sb0 at port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa0

NOTE! SB Pro support required with your soundcard!

snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>

and would complain matcd0 wasn't found.

Why can't I mount this drive?

The drive works fine in MS DOS/Win with a PAN??? driver
and is autodetected (and mounted) by Linux sbpcd.

--
  Lars Eighner           eighner@io.com           http://www.io.com/~eighner/
               God is REAL, unless explicitly declared INTEGER.