Date:      16 Jun 1999 19:55:02 -0400
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz

Hi all:

Could somebody comment on the following startup messages:

FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #2: Thu Mar 11 16:40:53 EST 1999
  root@door.wgaf.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/DOORKERNEL2
Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
CPU: i486 DX4 (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x480  Stepping=0
  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>

Primarilly I would like to know what speed the CPU is running at. It
couldn't possibly be 1MHz, could it now? ;^)

I inherited the i486 computer w/o any docs, so I have no idea how fast
it is. The timing frequency doesn't appear at boot-up. I borrowed a
copy of Norton Diagnostics for DOS and ran it from a floppy -- it
reported 102MHz.

Any suggestions?
--
Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate